OK This Website uses cookies for optimisation. By continuing, you agree to the use of cookies. Read more about data protection
?>

NEWS

 
22.04.2021
Der Blick nach oben lohnt sich. Historische denkmalgeschützte Jugendstil-Glasdecke von 1910 erfolgreich restauriert
Die Stiftung Denkmalpflege förderte die Restaurierung.
12.04.2021
Jüdischer Friedhof Altona bis 15. Mai geschlossen
 

Spendenkonto

Hamburger Sparkasse

IBAN: DE46 2005 0550 1501 6592 11

BIC: HASPDEHHXXX



   

 
 

MINISTERS’ HALL ST. JAMES CHURCH

Jakobikirchhof 22, Hamburg-Centre

Hamburg’s only preserved Baroque hall is located above the sacristy in an extension of
St. James Church (St. Jacobikirche). Not only church policy was formulated in the Ministers’ Hall, decorated with the coats of arms of former pastors and vicars of the parish. Church leaders intervened here actively in the administration of the city, but also conducted joyous celebrations. This is evident in the embellishment of the hall. The painter J. M. Riesenberger, active working for the Hamburg theatre, created a number of ceiling paintings and wall coverings.

During restoration work in 1992, Renaissance frescoes were discovered underneath the wall coverings (including a fresco of David playing the harp), which likewise should be preserved.

The frescoes were saved with the help of the Hamburg Monument Foundation. It was possible to create a movable frame for the wall covering guaranteeing constant access to the Renaissance paintings lying behind.

 
 
© 2021 Stiftung Denkmalpflege Hamburg, Dragonerstall 13, 20355 Hamburg